- Clive Vanderwagen
Five Ways To Set Goals You Will Achieve
Here are five simple ways to help you and your team set goals that have all boxes ticked!
Whenever we start a new year (or month, or week), we usually decide to make some changes. Drink less booze. Go to the gym. Use Twitter less. While these are cool, they're not goals. Here's what makes a goal an achievable goal.
1. Setting goals is an integral part of achieving success, but it's easy to set goals that are too vague or unrealistic. That's where SMART goals come in – they help you set specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, and time-bound goals that are more likely to be accomplished.
2. A "Specific" goal is clear and well-defined. Instead of saying, "I want to be healthier," a specific goal would be, "I want to lose 5 kilos in the next three months." This goal is clear and easy to understand.
3. A "Measurable" goal can be quantified. In the example above, the goal is to lose 5 kilos - this is something that can be measured. Measuring your progress helps you stay on track and adjust your strategy if needed.
4. An "Achievable" goal is possible to accomplish. It's important to set realistic goals that you can actually achieve. Setting a goal to lose 5 kilos in a week is not achievable, but losing 5 kilos in 3 months is more reasonable.
5. A "Relevant" goal is important to you. It should align with your values and fit into your overall life plan. If you don't have a good reason for achieving a goal, you're less likely to follow through.
6. Lastly, a "Time-bound" goal has a deadline. Setting a deadline creates a sense of urgency and gives you a deadline to work towards. Having a specific date in mind keeps you focused and motivated.
7. In summary, SMART goals are Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, and Time-bound. Using this framework can help you create clear, realistic, and motivating goals, which can increase your chances of achieving them.
8. Remember to track your progress and celebrate small wins; it will keep you motivated to reach your final goal!
Setting goals is vital to a well-planned, intentional year ahead. I hope this technique of goalsetting will help you and your team have an amazing year.